I thank god every day for the fact that I was NOT born in the 1800’s (or before). If there is one thing I can gain from my addiction to genealogy, it’s an appreciation for what I have in this lifetime.
My Top 10 Reasons for Why I am Grateful for being born in the 20th Century:
1. Hair Dryers – oh boy would I be ugly without my hair dryer
2. Air Conditioning – oh boy would I be crabby without air conditioning
3. Indoor Plumbing – no explanation needed
4. Planes, Trains and Automobiles – my other addiction is traveling. I really don’t care where I go as long as I have a vacation in the works. To think people never left their hometown is very sad to me.
5. Drive Thru Fast Food – I love it that I never have to get out of my car to buy lunch.
6. Pants – The outfits that women wore in the 1800’s were ridiculous. Those poor women in humid Louisiana!
7. Birth Control – sorry, but I’m not interested in having 16 children over a span of 20 years. Throw in outhouses for when you feel ill, and I would have run away
8. The Internet – it’s made searching for my ancestors a breeze
9. Modern Medicine – How did they handle allergies to ragweed? Sneeze all day for a month?
- Equal Rights – again, no explanation needed